Debrief Questions for Team Building Events
Bucking Events help clients with lots of team building events and this Blog offers free Debrief Questions for them.
The very best facilitators have the ability to help participants see that the activity they have just done was not just a bit of fun … it has meaning too!
They do this by asking the right questions which make training participants understand and learn from the activity. It also helps them to make connections with what they do (or don’t do) back at work, and then transfer it to the workplace. Also, debrief questions allow participants to reflect on their learning, and their behaviour in the team.
Before You Debrief your Team Building Activity
STEP ONE: Ask: “What is my goal?”
You need to know whether you are reviewing the activity, testing skills or knowledge, helping participants transfer their learning to the workplace, enable organisational or cultural change etc. The goal may be one or all of these.
If the activity is “just an energiser” then debriefing may not be necessary. However, you need to question whether “just an energiser” is really adding value to the success of your course or event.
STEP TWO: Once you have a goal, decide on which debrief questions will best serve that goal? Consequently, build those questions into your course lesson plan.
However, don’t be too prescriptive about this. If the participant’s answers take the group down a different discussion path, and you feel it adds to their learning, then let the conversation flow. Furthermore, you can bring them back on track later.
The Debrief Questions
Here are a range of team building debrief questions which may assist you to get the above results. Pick the ones you like for each individual activity you are presenting, and transfer them to your Lesson Plan.
TEAM BEHAVIOUR QUESTIONS
- How do you feel now?
- How well did your team perform during the task?
- What about you? How did you personally perform during the task?
- Who took control of the activity? What did that create (e.g. conflict? relief?)
- How were the roles of team members selected?
- How did your team work together?
- Specifically what do you mean by that?
- When did that happen?
- What did you think the task was about?
- How did you manage time/safety/quality etc?
- Consequently, what was the advantage of that?
- What obstacles did you face?
- So, how did you overcome them?
- How was time managed? How does this relate to your workplace?
- What did your team do best?
- What behaviours were effective/ineffective in task completion?
- How did your team communicate?
- What feedback would you give to your Leader about how this activity was communicated?
- As a result, were there any conflicts in the team? How was that handled?
- Did you need all the materials provided? Why?
- If you could do the activity again, what would you change?
- What were some of the factors which prevented a quality result?
- What did you learn from this activity?
- How does it relate to what you do back in the workplace?
- What elements of quality and productivity were evident in the way you completed this activity?
- How will you apply the learning from the course? Think of skills, productivity, teamwork, quality, and how others back at work can embrace what you learned?
- Were your expectations met? How?
- What did you learn about group dynamics today?
- Can you tell us an example of how this learning can be used back in the workplace?
- Finally, what will you put on your Action Plan in relation to this activity?
Source: norman turkington and associates specialise in helping companies develop high performing teams. Consequently, these team building debrief questions are typical of the types of debriefs conducted by norman turkignton and associates.
Finally, print this page and add your own team building debrief questions here
Bucking Events, and our parent company Bubbling With Energy Entertainment https://www.bubblingwithenergy.info/ , have been in operation for over 27 years. Above all, we take pride in ensuring our equipment is safe and well maintained. Also, our professional staff are trained to help you have the best event possible.
Contact Bucking Events:
Corporate Customers Ph: (02) 9829 8653 Private Parties Ph: (02) 9829 8929 or [email protected]
Unit 6/14 Stennett Road, Ingleburn NSW 2565